Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Old Hat

Old Hat by David R. Darrow 8" x 8" (20.32cm x 20.32cm)
Oil on Streched Canvas SOLD Collection of R. Bert Crossland
West Dundee, IL – USA

About This Painting

Funny expression.

Funny hat.

The expression "old hat" can mean what young folks today refer to as "old school" — out of date or obsolete, or so familiar that it has become uninteresting or boring.

I imagine the expression came from exactly the subject of this painting. It's a lady's hat, the fashionability of which died long before the hat ever did. It's in just about as good condition as the day it was sold.

Not too long ago my wife was thinking of getting rid of it. "No way!" I told her. "That needs to be painted."

My 14-year-old daughter obliged me and put it on for this painting. I think she felt downright "downtown."


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

5 comments:

J Matt Miller said...

Beautifully painted. The flesh tones turn perfectly.

Louis Boileau said...

David,
Great painting!

Peter Yesis said...

Great story, great painting. I like that you covered the eyes and let the hat stay the center of attention.

Justin Clayton said...

Very nice...I also like how you've kept the eyes from the viewer. It really adds a nice element of mystery. The close up composition creates some very interesting shapes too. Superb!

PaintingEachDay said...

Very accomplished David -