Monday, September 25, 2006

Jewel of the Mantel

Jewel of the Mantel by David R. Darrow 7" x 5" (17.78cm x 12.7cm)
Oil on Panel SOLD Collection of Diane Whitehead
Park City, UT – USA

About This Painting

Doing a little 'Spring cleaning in the Fall' yesterday, I cleared off the fireplace mantel so that I could dust.

Normally there are paintings, a clock, decorative bottles and few other kitschie things up there, and it was nice to just look at it bare for a change.

The simplicity of it was... I don't know... restful.

Well, of course there's a basic law of nature that says a mantel is there to set things on, so I set this fresh-cut, deep red rose (a sibling of the subject of an earlier painting of mine "A Good Thing") onto the mantle and, somehow, it made it even more restful.

Like pearl earrings set in gold, or a delicate bracelet on a woman's wrist, it dressed up the mantel to perfection.


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

No comments: