Saturday, January 20, 2007

Wanderer

Wanderer by David R. Darrow 5" x 4" (12.7cm x 10.2cm)
Oil on Belgian Linen on Panel SOLD Collection of Jeanne Armstrong
Savannah, GA – USA

About This Painting

This guy is fun to paint.

He has such distinct features that I wanted to see if they would translate to something small. And, to date, I believe this is the smallest oil painting I have ever done. If you didn't notice, the whole painting is 4" x 5" (10.2cm x 12.7cm) — a little bigger than the palm of my hand.

I painted the whole painting with a 1/4" (0.635cm) sable flat, with a 12" handle (I have to back away a bit so my bifocals work), so it is gooey and makes its own color from little globby tiles of color placed next to each other.

I was hesitant to show the "detail" shot on the auction listing, because it looks like such a sloppy mess and the displayed image of the whole painting is bigger than the actual painting! But the more I looked at it the more I enjoyed the abstract nature of the paint and brush strokes.

I'm telling you, this Dave friend of mine is just a walking painting. This is the second I have done of him. A face with a beard like this just makes me want to paint!


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

2 comments:

Karin Jurick said...

David - You have once again nailed the reds and greens of skin, something I strive to understand every day. So rich. So warm. Praises all around.
-Karin

"van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Great little painting David. I probably enjoyed the little paintings that I have done the best. Nice rich atmosphere. I love the feeling and emotion that are conveyed in the eyes. -Gordon