Friday, June 02, 2006

Anya

Anya by David R. Darrow 9" x 12" (22.86cm x 30.48cm)
Oil on Canvas Panel SOLD Collection of Rocky & Judith Hafdahl
San Juan Capistrano, CA – USA

About This Painting

Anya is a sweet woman. She posed for our little painting group in Rancho Santa Fe in an un-air-conditioned studio. It was sweltering and there was only a fan to keep her cool.

I had arrived late for the session (if you ever hear someone refer to "the late artist David R. Darrow," don't assume that means I have passed on... I may have instead been late again) so I had to get set up quickly and paint fast.

I decided on a heavy brush strokes approach, and exaggerated color. In the hot studio, she was beginning to redden, and her skin took on the "glow" that bespoke the posing conditions.

She was a pro. She spoke with a pronounced accent from Italy or a Persian country — I couldn't tell, and I chose not to ask.


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

4 comments:

arvindh said...

OHHH! What a stunning portrait!

Powpourri said...

Your paintings are amazing. I take painting in art school next year, hope I can get my work to look half as great as yours! Brandi

Anonymous said...

Amazing painting. That portrait shows the character of the woman.

gudbrandsdottir said...

This is a lovely painting! I like the big brush strokes, very nice work!