Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Orchid and Silver Teapot

Orchid and Silver Teapot by David R. Darrow 7" x 5" (17.78cm x 12.7cm)
Oil on Canvas Panel SOLD Collection of Patricia Harris
Ragley, CA – USA

About This Painting

I love this little teapot. It's a tiny little thing, reflective and simple, with a bamboo-wrapped silver handle.

I thought it would be a fun problem to solve to see if I could paint the refective qualities of the pot with a fat bristle brush and oil paint. I used a 3/8" wide filbert brush for most of this, with a few dabs using a 1/4" filbert. The result is a juicy, thick painting of an Orchid and a Silver Teapot.

Start your oil painting collection today, with this original oil painting by David R. Darrow! And there is no longer-lasting, or more-appreciated heirloom, than an original work of art given as a gift.


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

2 comments:

DD said...

Absolutely stunning, I love your use of the brush! I see you are new to selling your art on Ebay. I have just discovered a site called Etsy. http://etsy.com/ - it is made just for artists and I am really enjoying it because it's not auction and listings are only 10 cents each and run for 6 months. There is a final value fee of 3.5%. You get a Shop page & an about the artist page too. The layout and automatic thumbnails make the art look great (except for some of mine - but that's my fault for resizing mine first). Well we live and learn. I think you should try Etsy. There is a real sense of the artist's community going on there.

David R. Darrow said...

Darla,

I took a look and am not grabbed by it. I didn't see a lot of competent figurative artists... actually I couldn't find any.

eBay seems to be working well enough, and as planned. My goal is to get my name known, so that may gallery sales will improve.

Thanks for the compliments and for the tip. I'll check it out again later to see if the work is improving.

--David