Friday, August 26, 2011

Curl

Curlby David R. Darrow
8" x 10" (20.3cm x 25.4cm)
Oil on Panel

SOLD
Collection of Suzie Gregory
Columbus, IN – USA

About This Painting

One of my Beautiful Strangers™ encounters led to this painting.

Beautiful Strangers are 'portraits of friends I have never met.'

I met Blythe in the market. She may have generated the slowest double-take on record. She was in line at the quick check-out at the grocery store, and I was on my way to the produce section and had to cut in front of her just to get by.

I smiled as I inched my cart into the space in front of her so she wouldn't think I was just busting through. She smiled at me and back up to let me through. And the light caught her just so.

I saw a painting in my mind as I passed by her.

All the way to the bagged Baby Spinach and organic carrots, I tried to talk myself out of asking her to be in a painting of mine. Finally, I just asked myself, "Who are you kidding? How are you going to paint a face like that if you don't ask her?"

So I did. And she agreed.

She was a natural. Every which way she turned her head she looked like another painting. She brushed her hair through her fingers and I said "Hold that... ...Okay... ...let go of your hair." A single strand of her hair dropped and curled around into the light.  ◙


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

No comments: