Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Braids and a Black Tee

Braids and a Black Tee by David R. Darrow 11" x 14" (27.9cm x 35.6cm)
Oil on Canvas Panel
Not for sale. Collection of the Artist
About This Painting
Maybe you like your job a lot, but do you like it so much that you'd even watch a video of someone else doing it?
Well,that's what I do.
I rent or buy DVDs of other artists painting. I own or have watched videos of Morgan Weistling (portraits and figurative), Scott Burdick (figurative), Richard Schmid (figures, landscapes, portrait) and Roger Bansemer (landscape, plein air), and watch them many times because I always — and I mean always — pick up something new and inspiring, each time. I am constantly inspired and awed by the work of many other artists.
This painting came about as a direct result of 1) having just watched Weistling's 10-hour painting video set Advanced Fundamentals for the Beginning Expert, and 2) seeing my daughter sitting in a certain light with a certain look that is "very her" when deep in thought.
It was one of those moments where I just had to start smooshing paint on a canvas. I purposely chose a limited palette of Alizarin, Yellow Ochre, Black and White.  ◙

To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This girl looks so much like my daughter. Bone structure and coloring. The limited palette worked very well here.

David R. Darrow said...

What a coincidence! She looks very much like my daughter, too... (but I was painting mine, not yours).

;-)

Brendy Vaughn said...

Nice painting. I like how you are showing some of the paintings in their frames. It makes them look more complete some how.

Anonymous said...

Great suggestions on videos.
(shows framed below in the post, yet unframed above in the specifics FYI)

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Great portrait and I'm going to try out your suggestion about the videos.
Love your dedication.

artofandrewdaniel said...

Hi Dave,
I've been watching your show the last couple of days as I work. This picture of your daughter is my very favorite!! Thanks for setting a nice productive pace! I am trying to ramp up my studio so that I can keep up with yah!

Just got back into oils and they are a huge challenge after years of acrylics. I've been casting about the internet looking for some role models to see how oil paint gets pushed around, Your my fave!

Cheers Mate!
Andrew