Thursday, March 15, 2007

Anne: A Portrait Commission (Practice)

Anne by David R. Darrow 8" x 10" (20.3cm x 25.4cm)
Oil on Linen Not For Sale Private Collection

About This Painting

If you wonder where I have been lately or why I've apparently gone missing from the land of Everyday Paintings, you're not alone. Even I wonder how time gets away from me, and then I look back and realize all that I have done and where I have been.

I've been working on a portrait commission for a new client. The sample shown above is my first little test painting at 8" x 10" (about 20cm x 25cm). The final is to be 32" x 40" (81cm x 102cm) which is just too big and cost-prohibitive to experiment with. Using a concert pianist analogy, I think of my final painting as the performance, and the little tests as the practicing of the difficult passages prior to performance, so that the performance is based on familiarity with the task, leaving more room for my individual flare and feeling.

Mixed in to all this, has been a trip to the Kansas home of my client to gather reference material for the portrait of his wife (in honor of their 20th Anniversary), the building of The Daily Painters Guild Website, a few daily paintings, and building the shipping crate for my client's painting.  ◙


To subscribe to my free "Art In Your InBox" Newsletter, just click here.

3 comments:

mick mcginty said...

This is the site that wouldn't take my comment. I get confused with your two blogs. This one is for strictly painting, and your other one has that and more.

Mick

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what colors did you use to depict blonde hair? thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is an incredible web site. Not only amazing art, but beautiful stories and perspectives too.Thank you for handing me your card @ the carlsbad street fair!
Kathleen